On the 15th of January, the people will gather for Gani Fawehinmi

JUST A REMINDER LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

The Ikeja Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association holds its 15th Gani Fawehenmi Annual Lecture (Fawehimnism) next Tuesday the 15th of January, 2019 at Airport Hotel, Ikeja by 10am prompt. Theme: SECURING THE INDEPENDENCE OF INEC. – A PANACEA FOR FREE, FAIR AND CREDIBLE ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA UNDER THE DISTINGUISHED CHAIRMANSHIP OF HON JUSTICE HABEEB ABIRU OF THE COURT OF APPEAL, JOS DIVISION AND GUEST SPEAKER IS PROFESSOR AKIN OYEBODE, FORMER VC OF UNIVERSITY OF ADO EKITTI.
OUR SPECIAL GUESTS OF HONOUR ARE:

Continue reading On the 15th of January, the people will gather for Gani Fawehinmi

Stealing of female underwear: Suspected Septugenarian to undergo psychiatric test

THE stealing of female panties for money ritual purposes came to public glare recently and palpable fear had enveloped the atmosphere.
No doubt the main reason for this ungodly adventure by internet fraudsters also known as Yahoo boys, is to acquire wealth by crooked means. Reports of the apprehension of suspects had become a daily occurrence. In Ondo State, the fate of a suspect, Kayode Michael, arrested in Akure last week for this ignoble act of picking female pants, bras and blood stained sanitary pads, will have to be decided by the report of the doctors in the state psychiatric hospital. Recall that the suspect, a 70- year-old man, was nabbed and beaten black and blue by residents of Danjuma, in Akure metropolis when caught in the act. But for the timely intervention of the officials of the state command of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps,NSCDC, the suspect would have been lynched by the irate mob.
However, a twist was introduced when his relations surfaced and claimed the suspect was mentally disturbed. They reportedly claimed he was in the habit of picking refuse from dunghill across the metropolis.
Mixed reaction had trailed the arrest of the suspect since it came to the public glare that ritualists now steal and pick ladies pants and other underwears from clothes line. Residents of Danjuma area, where the suspect was arrested, insisted that there is more to it than meets the eye and called for further probe They wondered why the suspect’s relations left him to roam the streets instead of confining him to a mental home. One of the landlords in the area, Tunbosun Adedeji, alleged that the suspect was not behaving abnormally when he was caught in the act and wondered how he became insane after he was rescued by the security agents. The mob alleged that the suspect was faking insanity and must have been fronting for Yahoo boys, who buy the items and take them to herbalists for money rituals. A man who spoke on condition of anonymity, pleaded that the suspect should be throughly examined by competent psychiatric doctor to ascertain his mental state. “If need be, they should go outside the state. They should not cover up anything. This case should be handled properly to serve as a deterrent to other fetish young boys who crave to get rich through devilish means.” Findings showed that no fewer than six female pants, four bras and some sanitary pads were found in the black polythene bag he was holding when he was apprehended.
Eyewitness account alleged that the suspect was caught with a polythene bag containing used female underwear, bras and blood-stained sanitary pads. He was accused of gathering the items to either allegedly use them for rituals or sell to ritualists. An eyewitness told newsmen who rushed to the scene, that some “people saw him picking female underwears around the area, but when he was asked what he was doing with them, he could not give a convincing answer so the people thought may be he wanted to use them for rituals. “As he could not give an answer to the questions put to him, people started beating him, they wanted to kill him but he was later rescued and handed over to the security agents.” Another eyewitness said: “The man was caught by commercial motorcyclists in Danjuma area of Akure while he was picking female pants and bras on the lines, he also picked a fresh sanitary pad stained with blood. Nobody knew what he wanted to use them for.”
Spokesperson of the NSCDC in Ondo State, Oladapo Samuel, confirmed that the family of the suspect and officials of the Corps would be visiting the psychiatric hospital to verify the claim of insanity. Oladapo said: “The suspect was rescued from an angry mob by two patriotic citizens. He was confirmed to be engaged in begging for alms and picking things from dustbins around the metropolis by his relatives and neighbours. “At the scene of rescue, no witness was willing to speak with NSCDC officers on the circumstances of his apprehension to determine if he was actually caught with the exhibits or that he was checking the nylon bag said to contain the exhibit. “Investigation is still ongoing on the case; be assured that justice would be done in the matter.”
Source: Vanguard News.

Opposition wins in DRC elections

Opposition candidate Felix Tshisekedi has won the long-awaited presidential poll in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the electoral commission said Thursday, paving the way for the country’s first handover of power in 18 years.
“Having gained… 38.57 percent of the vote, Felix Tshisekedi is provisionally declared the elected president of the Democratic Republic of Congo,” said Corneille Nangaa, the head of the Independent National Election Commission (CENI).
Shouts of joy erupted at the commission’s offices as the historic results were announced.
The DRC has been in the grip of a two-year-old crisis over the succession of President Joseph Kabila, who said last year he would step down after nearly two decades in power.
The candidate he hand-picked to succeed him, loyalist, former interior minister Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, came third in the poll.
The other main opposition candidate, former oil executive Martin Fayulu — who was tipped as favourite in the few pre-election opinion polls — came second, official results showed.
According to the initial timetable set out by the CENI, the definitive results are due on January 15 with the swearing-in of the new president three days later.
The result could still be appealed in the Constitutional Court.​

Daily Nation.

Corps member arraigned for reckless driving and killing

A 29-year-old National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, member, Odedele Feranmi, was yesterday arraigned by Osun State Police Command before an Osogbo magistrate court for alleged reckless driving and killing.
The accused was alleged to have driven in a reckless manner and caused the death of a 16-year-old girl, Olasunkanmi Pelumi, on January 4. He was said to have killed the deceased in front of government office, Gbongan road, Osogbo, while coming from Ibadan to resume at his Primary Place of Assignment in Osogbo. The Police prosecutor, Mr. Oladoye Joshua, said the accused killed the deceased with his Honda car with number plates Lagos MUN 187 CU around 11.30am. He said the alleged offence contravened the provision of section81 (1) Cap 115, Vol 6, Laws of Osun State, 2003. Counsel to the accused, Mr. Bola Abimbola-Ige, urged the court to grant his client bail on liberal terms, promising that he would not jump bail. He said the accused is still presumed to be innocent in accordance with Section 36(5) of the 1999 Constitution, and the provision of Section 118(2) of the Criminal Procedure Law of Osun State. He urged the court to exercise its discretional power in favour of the accused by releasing him on bail, pending his trial. The accused told the court that he was expected to resume at his place of primary assignment, PPA, on Monday January 7, in Osogbo. He said he was coming from Ibadan where he lives, when the incident happened. Magistrate Olusegun Ayilara, who was reluctant in granting the accused bail, said: “The accused person is reluctantly granted bail in the sum ofN500,000 with two sureties in like sum. Magistrate Ayilara said the sureties must be resident in the state and the car of the accused be moved to the court so that he can stand trial. He said the father of the accused should drop three passport photographs and sign undertaking and adjourned the matter to January 30 for mention.

Source: Vanguard News.

Truck driver arrested for calling Museveni “Bosco”

Police in Gomba District have arrested a 19-year-old man for allegedly abusing President Museveni.

Police identified the suspect as Joseph Kasumba, a resident of Kanoni Town Council and driver of a pickup truck that transports agricultural produce to the different markets in the area.

Kasumba allegedly abused the President on January 1 as he ( Museveni) was travelling from St. John’s Cathedral, Kasaka where he had attended New Year’s church service.

“When his [Museveni’s] convoy reached Kanoni Town, Special Forces Command soldiers reportedly ordered one of the drivers to move his vehicle from the road to allow the presidential motorcade pass. This is when a group of youth allegedly led by Kasumba started exchanging words with the soldiers and abused President Museveni, calling him all sorts of names including Bosco. They also blamed him of constructing narrow roads,” a police source who did not want to be named because he’s not authorized to speak to the media said on Thursday.

Gomba District police Commander, Mr Robert Kuzaara said Kasumba is in their custody at Kanoni Police Station pending investigations.

He said the suspect is likely to be charged with alleged alarming, annoying and ridiculing the person of the president contrary to the Penal Code Act.

Related cases

Kasumba is not the first person to get in trouble for allegedly attacking the President.

Makerere University research fellow, Dr Stella Nyanzi also spent the festive season in jail over abusing President Museveni and his deceased mother on September 16 on her Facebook page.

In October last year, one Suzan Namata was arrested after taking a video threatening to hit President Museveni with her genitals if he didn’t release Kyadondo east MP, Robert Kyagulanyi from prison.

In the same month, detectives also arrested Moses Nsubuga popularly known as Viboyo for singing a song in which he allegedly used obscene words to refer to government leaders including President Museveni and Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga.

Last July, Mr Hope Mulangira Kaweesa, a Democratic Party supporter, was also arrested on similar charges after he allegedly circulated an audio threatening to harm President Museveni.

The name ‘ Bosco Katala’ has over the last month gained traction as a derogatory term used to refer to what the young people on social media see as Museveni’s backward national policies and personal enrichment at the expense of the taxpayer.

Katala is a word from the widely spoken Luganda local language, that means ‘someone who is unsophisticated or a socially awkward person, usually from the village’.

The origin of the name Bosco stems from a commercial that was released by the biggest telecommunications company in Uganda, MTN, promoting the use of cashless transactions using mobile money.

The advert ‘tells the story of Bosco’, an middle-aged Ugandan man who comes to the city, and goes shopping at a supermarket in a fancy shopping mall, where he is shown how to pay using mobile money.

Bosco rides his bicycle through metal detectors, escalators and supermarket aisles.

A woman who has been in coma for 10 years gives birth. How did it happen? Police hunt culprit

A woman who was in a vegetative state for years gave birth. Police want DNA from men who work at the facility

Police investigators have begun to gather DNA from men who work at an Arizona care facility where a woman in a vegetative state gave birth last month.

Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said Wednesday the woman and child, who was in medical distress after being delivered December 29, remain in the hospital.

CNN is not reporting the woman’s name because she is the victim of sexual abuse.

Continue reading A woman who has been in coma for 10 years gives birth. How did it happen? Police hunt culprit

Kenya-Cops ordered to pay $78,000 to lawyer for arbitrary arrest

The High Court has ordered six police officers to pay Sh4 million to a lawyer they had arrested and detained illegally. The officers will also pay Sh3.8 million to 19 other people they had arrested and locked in a cell at the Ongata Rongai police station. Each of the 19 complainants is to get Sh200,000. The officers had argued that the petitioners were idle and disorderly. But Judge Reuben Nyakundi yesterday ordered that no state money should be used to pay the cash. This means that each officer will have to part with Sh1.3 million. He found officers guilty of violating the rights of arrested persons and right for representation.

Continue reading Kenya-Cops ordered to pay $78,000 to lawyer for arbitrary arrest