Did you know?
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau obtained her first law degree from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria in 1991, and had her Law School professional training at the NLS, Victoria Island, Lagos.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau won the British Government Chevening Scholarship in 2006 and proceeded to School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London and obtained LL.M in Law and Development.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau is a member of the International Bar Association, Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators and Association of Women in Development (AWID).
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau is a Life Member of the International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA).
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was National President of International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA Nigeria) between 2012 and 2015.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau has served as a board member of several reputable NGOs including ActionAid International Nigeria and Nigeria Women Trust Fund. She currently serves on the Board of several other NGOs.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was Country Director of Ipas Nigeria, an International NGO from 2015-2019.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau currently serves as the United Nations Rep of the International Federation of Women Lawyers.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was the Consultant who drafted the National Child Protection and Enforcement Agency Bill.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was a Member of the National Technical Committee on the Development of Strategic Framework for Legal Aid Delivery in Nigeria.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was Treasurer, Nigerian Bar Association, Abuja Branch 2000 – 2001.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was Financial Secretary, Nigerian Bar Association, Abuja Branch 1999 – 2000.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau has published over 40 local and international Papers and Articles.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau has attended over 40 National and International Courses and Conferences, including Leadership Courses.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was a Class Chairperson/Representative during her undergraduate days in ABU Zaria.
- Barr. Hauwa Shekarau was a Member of 2014 National Constitutional Conference.
Hauwa is currently running for the office of Chairman of the NBA Abuja Branch (Unity Bar), for which elections will hold in June 2020.
Her ten point agenda for the Unity Bar is:
- Restoring the glory of the bar.
- Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
- Capacity Building
- Robust engagement with the Judiciary
- Welfare scheme for young lawyers such as Car loans
- Abuja Bar Centre – Friendship Centre
- Pupillage Scheme for young Lawyers.
- Mentorship Programme.
- Exploring exclusive new Practice Areas for Lawyers
- Strenthening crisis management at the bar through internal dispute resolution mechanisms