NBA Udu Branch has spoken up on the abuse of one of her members by men of the NPF. The Branch also set up a human rights help desk to deal with such in future. The full statement reads:
NBA UDU BRANCH CONDEMNS THE UNPROVOKED AND UNWARRANTED ASSAULT OF AKPOKONA OMAFUAIRE, ESQ. BY THE MEN OF THE NIGERIA POLICE FORCE, OVWIAN/ALADJA DIVISION ON THE 24TH DAY OF OCTOBER 2020.
- The Nigerian Bar Association, Udu Branch strongly condemns the unprovoked and unwarranted assault of one of its members, Akpokona Omafuaire, Esq. who was on essential duty, by the Men of the Nigeria Police Force, Ovwian/Aladja Police Station, Delta State.
- The act of cutting Akpokona Omafuaire, Esq. and his car with cutlasses by Men of the Nigeria Police Force is inhumane and condemnable. Several pictures show the bruises and lacerations sustained by Akpokona Omafuaire, Esq. and the damage to his car as a result of the acts of these unfortunate Men in uniform. This dastardly act by the Men of the Nigeria Police Force, Ovwian/Aladja Division is shameful.
- The NBA Udu Branch in the strongest term condemns the unprovoked, reprehensible, irresponsible and the unwarranted attack on the person of Akpokona Omafuaire, Esq. by Men of the Nigeria Police Force, Ovwian/Aladja Division whose primary and constitutional duty is to protect the Properties and lives of Citizens. The Branch has reported the matter to all relevant authorities. Investigation is ongoing and the Branch shall ensure that the said Policemen are arrested and prosecuted.
- We join our voice with the rest of the World to call for Justice and in the same vein commiserate with the families of the victims of Extra-Judicial Killings all over the Country in the course of the #EndSARS protests. We call on all Citizens to shun violence and be law abiding.
- In a bid to lend our support towards a better policing system and to put an end to police brutality, the NBA Udu Branch has set up a Human Rights Help Desk. Members of the public and most especially those within Udu and its environ are at liberty to call the following numbers where protesters or Citizens have been arrested and or brutalized or any similar complaint against the police or other law enforcement agencies.
Andrew Onodjefemue, Esq.
0806 819 2318
Benefit Orugbo, Esq.
0803 566 9140
Omosefe Erhurhu, Esq.
0806 383 9914
Patrick Mekako, Esq.
Peter Daubry, Esq.
Austin Nyekigbe, Esq.