Resolutions Passed at an Emergency Meeting of the NBA National Executive Committee in Respect of Recent Developments at the NBA Secretariat
The National Executive Committee of the NBA being empowered to take emergency steps in deserving circumstances and to report same to the National Executive Council,
held an emergency meeting on Monday 15th August 2022.
Kindly find attached, the memo from members of the National Executive Committee to the NBA President and the subsequent resolution reached by the National Executive Committee at its Emergency Meeting.
Dr. Rapulu Nduka
Nigerian Bar Association
Resolution of the Meeting of the National Executive Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association Held on Monday 15th August 2022
- Following the receipt of a letter dated 14th August 2022, from 9 National Officers of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) calling on the President of the NBA, Mr. Olumide Akpata to call an emergency
meeting of the National Executive Committee, the meeting held on
Monday 15th August 2022 by 8am with the following members in attendance:
1) Olumide Akpata – President
2) John Aikpokpo-Martins – 1st Vice President
3) Debo Adeyemo Kazeem – 2nd Vice President
4) Ombo Victor Frank-Briggs – 3rd Vice President
5) Joyce Oduah – General Secretary
6) Uchenna Nwadialo – Assistant General Secretary
7) Mercy Ijato Agada – Treasurer
8) Raphael Nnamdi Anagor – Financial Secretary
9) Olukunle Edun – Welfare Secretary
10) Rapuluchukwu Nduka – Publicity Secretary
11) Ferdinand Naza – Assistant Publicity Secretary
- The meeting deliberated extensively on the content of the above referenced letter and the weighty allegations against the General Secretary, Mrs Joyce Oduah in particular her acts of alleged disobedience to the President, the National Executive Council of the Association (NBA-NEC) and the National Executive Committee.
- Owing to the contents of the letters and statements issued by General Secretary and the disclaimer that the President issued, the NBA President, Mr. Olumide Akpata recused himself from the deliberations and handed over to the 1st Vice President, Mr. John
Aikpokpo Martins to chair the meeting.
- At the end of the deliberations, the National Executive Committee by
a unanimous decision, resolved to refer the General Secretary, Mrs Joyce Oduah to NBA-NEC for disciplinary action under the provisions of section 20(1) of the NBA Constitution 2015 (as amended in 2021) and to recommend her removal from office for gross misconduct.
- In the meantime, however, in view of the critical importance of the Annual General Meeting which is scheduled to hold on 25th August 2022, and to prevent the General Secretary, Mrs Joyce Oduah from
imperiling the Annual General Meeting, the Annual General Conference or the succession to the next administration by her unilateral and unauthorised communications purporting to be
legitimate communications from the Association, the National Executive Committee has unanimously exercised its emergency powers under section 9(6) (d) of the NBA Constitution 2015 (as
amended in 2021) to suspend Mrs Joyce Oduah from office as the General Secretary of the Association with immediate effect pending the Pre-Conference meeting of the NBA-NEC scheduled to hold on Sunday 21st August 2022.
- The Assistant General Secretary, Ms. Uchenna Nwadialo shall immediately act as the General Secretary pending the Pre-
Conference meeting of the NBA-NEC scheduled to hold on Sunday 21st August 2022.
- All members of the Association are advised to continue their preparations for the forthcoming Annual General Conference.
DEBO ADEYEMO KAZEEM
OMBO VICTOR FRANK-BRIGGS
MERCY IJATO AGADA
RAPHAEL NNAMDI ANAGOR