STATEMENT BY THE CHAIRMAN, NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION – SECURITY AGENCIES RELATIONS COMMITTEE (NBA-SARC), CHIEF JOE-KYARI GADZAMA OFR, MFR, SAN, ON THE UNLAWFUL ARREST AND DETENTION OF A MAGISTRATE BY THE AREA D POLICE HEADQUARTERS IN MUSHIN LAGOS STATE
- It has come to the notice of the NBA-SARC via a series of online publications by media outlets, accessed today, Thursday, June 2, 2022, that a magistrate, whose name was withheld, had on Monday, May 30, 2022, during a routine check of suspects in cells at the Area D Police Headquarters, Mushin, Lagos State, been arrested and detained on the orders of the Area Commander, ACP Dankoli over the allegations that the Magistrate went to check suspects detained in the Command’s cell without his permission.
- Indeed, it is preposterous to think that a Magistrate will be humiliated and even detained for carrying out one of the statutory responsibilities of her office as obligated by the Lagos State Judiciary and the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Lagos State.
- In line with the NBA-SARC’s mandate, our Committee is presently making urgent efforts at verifying the facts and circumstances surrounding the instant report especially as it relates to the arrest and detention of the magistrate in question. This is to inform further steps, actions and/or decisions made from the standpoint of knowledge and information.
- In the interim, we call for calm from the legal community and further reassure that no stone will be left unturned in ensuring the justice of this instant case and that whoever is found wanting faces the music in the present investigative efforts by the NBA-SARC. We continue to condemn, unreservedly, all forms of unlawful arrest and detention and the instant case, if verified, is no different. We are making efforts to reach the said Magistrate, her aides and eyewitnesses, if any, to ascertain the extent, and/or nature of confrontation with the Police on that the said day.
- We remain ever committed to the safety and welfare of all members of the Nigerian Bar Association and its me.
I remain yours in this lofty struggle. Signed: Chief Joe-Kyari Gadzama, OFR, MFR