Six (6) young lawyers have qualified for the final stage of Monday Ubani Courtroom Mail Prize for young lawyers.
Olufunmi Oluyede,a member of the Body of Benchers and the inaugural secretary of the NBA Women forum has commended the President of the Nigerian Bar Association(NBA) Paul Usoro SAN for reviving the NBA Women forum
In a statement she posted ,she wrote
The training for the 2019 Lawyers table tennis Open(Mfon Usoro cup) kicked off last Saturday at the National stadium,Lagos with many new participants showing up to prepare for the annual show down among lawyers.
The event which started in 2009 has come a long way and has built its own history.
Below are 10 facts about the sporting event that might interest you.
10 facts about Lawyers Table Tennis Open(Mfon Usoro cup)
- The total Prize money for the female category is higher than the Male category.This is because Mrs Efe Etomi in support of the event has a special Prize for the Female winner.
- Since the female category started in 2010,only two female Lawyers have won it.Titilayo Osagie has won it eight times while Yetunde Martin’s won it once in 2017.
- In 2018,for the first time in the history of the event,a lawyer from outside Lagos won the trophy .His name is Yahaya Olarewaju from Lokoja
- Lawyers table tennis Open(Mfon Usoro cup) is the biggest sporting event among lawyers in Nigeria. With lawyers from more than 15 states participating since inception.
5.In the 2018 finals,first time participants in the tournament took the 1st,2nd and 3rd positions in the mens’ finals.
6. Adedayo Oshodi is the only lawyer who has played in all the tournaments since it started.
7. Only two young Lawyers have won the male championship since inception. In 2010 it was won by Wale Oduwole who was called in 2004.In 2016 it was won by Kabir Adeleke called in 2011
8. No young lawyer has ever won the female category of the event.
9. Tunji Abdulhameed has won the championship the most wining it in 2013,2014,2015 and 2017
10.The event is officiated by Professional umpires from the Nigerian Table Tennis Federation.
The Nigerian Bar Association released a statement on 7th September 2019 constituting her Women’s Forum. The statement was signed by Paul Usoro, SAN, the president of the Association.
“Friends of Chief Emeka Ngige (SAN)” recently held a dinner/lecture at The Metropolitan Club, Victoria Island, Lagos to mark his appointment as Chairman, Council of Legal Education (CLE). The event was jointly chaired by former Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) President, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN) and MTN Nigeria Plc Director/Chairman, National Council on Privatization (NCP), Mr. M. K. Ahmad. The dinner lecture on “Rethinking legal education in Nigeria to meet the needs of the 21st century” was delivered by Prof. Fabian Ajogwu (SAN).
(PAPERS PRESENTED AT THE NBA-AGC-2019 DURING PLENARY SESSION ONE, AT EKO HOTLES & SUITES ON 26 AUGUST 2019)
The 2019 NBA Conference with the theme, FACING THE FUTURE, has come and gone. Many say it was a well-organized and perfectly delivered Conference. An overwhelming majority praise the Conference as one of the most exciting NBA Conferences ever, not only because of the highly entertaining and enriching side attractions and events, robust programs and orderly organization, but mainly because of the thought-provoking sessions and highly insightful and revolutionary papers presented during the various sessions and symposia that form part of the Conference.
The very first Session at the Conference was a Plenary Discussion on the topic, “Code of Conduct Tribunal: A Clash of Judicial & executive Powers.” This session was scheduled to be chaired by the immediate past Deputy Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Distinguished Senator Ike Ekweremmadu. Of the five speakers expected at the session, four were present to make their presentation. Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, LLD, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, Nella Andem-Rabana, SAN, and Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (who has just been conferred with the rank of SAN, to be decorated with the Silk later this month: September 2019) were physically present while Hon Danladi Umar (chairman, Code of Conduct Tribunal, Abuja) was absent.
Training for the 11th Lawyers table tennis Open(Mfon Usoro) Cup will commence on Saturday 7th of September as registration continues.
The Association of Lawyers with Disabilities in Nigeria (ALDIN) has accused the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) of not treating lawyers with disabilities fairly at its 2019 Annual General Conference.
The Section on Public Interest and Development Law (SPIDEL) of the Nigerian Bar Association is set to have her annual conference on the 5th-9th November 2019.
“Do not criticise what you don’t understand.*
~ Elvis Presley