12 facts about Lawyers Table Tennis Open(Mfon Usoro cup)
Lawyers Table Tennis Open (Mfon Usoro cup) is the biggest sporting event among Lawyers in Nigeria sponsored by Mrs Mfon Usoro, a well known Nigerian Maritime Lawyer.
Below are some facts many Lawyers may not know about this event.
- The total Prize money for the female category is higher than the Male category.This is because Mrs Efe Etomi in support of the event has a special Prize for the Female winner.
- Since the female category started in 2010,only two female Lawyers have won it.Titilayo Osagie has won it nine times while Yetunde Martin’s won it once in 2017.
- In 2018,for the first time in the history of the event,a lawyer from outside Lagos won the trophy .His name is Yahaya Olarewaju from Lokoja.
- Lawyers table tennis Open(Mfon Usoro cup) is the biggest sporting event among lawyers in Nigeria. With lawyers from more than 15 states participating since inception
- In the 2018 finals,first time participants in the tournament took the 1st,2nd and 3rd positions in the mens’ finals.
- Adedayo Oshodi is the only lawyer who has played in all the tournaments since it started in 2009.
- Only two young Lawyers have won the male championship since inception. In 2010 it was won by Wale Oduwole who was called in 2004.In 2016 it was won by Kabir Adeleke called in 2011
- No young lawyer has ever won the female category of the event.
- Tunji Abdulhameed has won the championship the most wining it in 2013,2014,2015 and 2017
10.The event is officiated by Professional umpires from the Nigerian Table Tennis Federation.The event did not hold in 2020 because of Covid-19 restrictions.
11. The 2011 Champion is now a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.
12. The fourth place winner in the maiden edition in 2009 is now a Judge of the High Court of Lagos State.
The 2021 finals will hold on the 9th of October at the National Stadium from 10am